The Red Sox are in shambles these days. The Bobby Valentine experiment has gone terribly wrong, Carl Crawford is still suffering from Cut The Check Syndrome (and needs Tommy John surgery), and many are saying that they should blow up the team.
Looks like they will be doing the latter.
Details of the potential blockbuster from Y!..
The Los Angeles Dodgers claimed Boston first baseman Adrian Gonzalez off waivers Friday and are interested on working toward a deal before a 1:30 p.m. ET deadline Sunday, sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The Dodgers also claimed Red Sox starter Josh Beckett, according to CSNNE.com, which could be the precursor to a blockbuster deal that would shake up both clubs.
Because of their financial flexibility and willingness to take on money, the Dodgers present a number of possibilities if the Red Sox indeed prove willing to part with the 30-year-old Gonzalez, who is in the first season of a seven-year, $154 million contract.
Boston is unlikely to let Gonzalez go in a straight waiver claim and would pull him back without a trade offer from the Dodgers, one source said. While it is not known what names of players or terms the teams have exchanged, multiple options exist to facilitate a deal.
The Dodgers have a handful of pitching prospects they held onto at the trade deadline, as well as after they unsuccessfully claimed Cliff Lee off waivers earlier this month.
A more interesting twist is Los Angeles’ seemingly never-ending payroll spike under new ownership. Considering the recent contracts for star first basemen – Joey Votto’s $250 million deal, Albert Pujols’ $240 million pact and Prince Fielder’s $214 million contract – Gonzalez’s $127 million salary over the next six years isn’t excessive for Los Angeles. Moreover, in lieu of giving up prospects, the Dodgers could propose to take on another of Boston’s bloated salaries – the sort of sweetener no other team can afford.